Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Bite thee

Far better than the possum farm We just got back from several days in Jacksonville and the surrounding area of the First Coast. First of all; I admit that it was hot. I have gotten a lot of play out of the fact that coming from St. Louis I know hot like few Minnesotans can know hot but this was like the rare day on the Mississippi Valley when my friend Andy Tag would break out the phrase "it's Africa hot out there."

I was in the ocean for the first time in my life which was a beautiful thing. It was as if a part of every living thing that had ever died had gone in my mouth. I will not forget the taste of the ocean soon.

We made our way down the A1A to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. Pretty cool stuff, about two hours worth of crocs and gators.
Now my piece of advice. If you have kids and live in or near a city large enough to have a zoo that is not attached to a gas station you should join that zoo. It is fun for the kids, highly available as a day trip. It's educational and supporting major zoos promotes conservation. Also, if you find yourself going to another major city most of these zoos have a reciprocity agreement that will allow you to take the family to the zoo for no admission fee. That's a nice way to kill a morning before your flight. Although if you find yourself in Jackksonville remember that a trip to the zoo could be a hot day of looking at hot animals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home