Saturday, July 24, 2004

I liked the book but the movie was better

Look what I found If the idea of a "live action" Thunderbirds movie is turning your stomach check out this site. Be forwarned that the navigation is challenging. What I get from it is that there is at least a DVD release and likely a Director's Cut in cinemas this fall. My experience is that directors generally cut for shit the second time around but I'll still go just to see THX on a big screen in THX sound.
There was an excellent episode of South Park about directors recutting films that apparently hit pretty close to home for a couple of up and coming directors named Spielberg and Lucas. Parker and Stone probably saved us all a DV of Raiders and likely a fourth "Collector's edition" of Star Wars.
I came across the THX1138 site while looking for a nice net niche to note a nifty nuance in the 1970 film "Born to Win." As George Segal and Karen Black are driving into NYC the scene is blurred then snaps into focus on a marquee showing Lucas' movie.
A couple of cool things about "Born to Win." I like George Segal anyway but this was a pretty tight little flick and was more about capturing the scene than teaching a lesson. Reviews I have found compare it as superior to the oft cable available "Panic in Needle Park." Karen Black is in it and is notably watchable as her odd looks are not as distracting as in subsequent films. Her role and musical cues usually make her out to be a sort of sex goddess. In my view she usually reads as a malformed Raquel Welch. She sings well in this movie as an added bonus.
Robert DeNiro plays a small part as a narc which led me to IMDB to confirm his face. I found there that he was in an earlier Scorsese project called "Greetings" and then something I'd very much like to see called " Hi Mom" that was sometime retitled " Son of Greetings" since he was playing the same character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home