Friday, July 23, 2004

Chipmakers battle for market share

Today Jay, tomorrow you...or you! Last night I saw a billboard on 280 for this new Lay's campaign targeting our local brand, Old Dutch. It purports to compare Lay's "Classic" to " unflavored" Old Dutch in a taste test and it seems wrong. They didn't ask me, but I and people in my car generally have a preference for Old Dutch. I am guessing that if you live around here you might too.
In addition to what was likely an equally unfair and unscientific study it bugs me that they are taking on the regional brand. Now I learn that this is a national brand's declaration of (chip)war opening up on many fronts.  I guess they are taking a cue from the war on terror.
I would like to point out that beyond the category of "plain" FritoLay would have a hard time competing with Old Dutch in a one to one matchup. FritoLay doesn't even make Dill Pickle, Ketchup, or Garlic potato chip.
I have always been a big fan of OD and have intended for years to write them a letter of support. Now's the time. I buy the chips and I'd hope a testimonial might make someone's day. Now that they are taking on my favorite brand I think I now have to write a little note to Frito Lay also. I have been meaning to write them a cranky note about what I have perceived as a lapse in Frito quality. 
Here are the sites of the players. Support your local brand if they make good chips. That goes double for little pretzels.
Old Dutch
FritoLay
Jay's
Summit Extra Pale Ale




1 Comments:

Blogger MrFares said...

No, but I have a hard time thinking about little pretzels without some beer.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home