Friday, August 05, 2005

Shaken up or stirred?


Make mine an O.K. Let's move this party off the nation's Exchange servers- Here's most of today's thread started with the above link and below comment from Mr. Z Neal, who hails from a blue state.
Mr Neal(2:43 pm): Pop - Nuff' Said.
Mr. Wentz (2:50 pm):I suspect that chart is more interesting to people who can see colors well enough to tell what word a particular area uses.
Mr. Cohen (3:05 pm): What the hell is going on in Lake of the Woods County (northernmost county of MN)?

"Hey Sven, I'm goin' down to Helgason's market for some a dat dere lutefisk dey yust got in. Want somethin'?"

"Ya sure, Ole, bring me a can o' moose piss"

"You betcha, Sven. Orange or x-treme lemon-lime?"

Mr. Wentz (3:10 pm): I believe they call it "That stuff that people drink when they've run out of beer."
Mr. Henderson (3:16 pm):I am shocked! By phrasing the question as Soda, Pop, Coke, or Other, the pollsters have biased their survey away from fourth party candidates. This is fine at the national level, but when the data is sliced to the county it becomes an issue. For example, the traditional Brahmins of Boston refer to soft drinks as "tonics" and milkshakes are "frappes".





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This survey answers a question that has been puzzling me for awhile. I was in Dallas a few months back and asked for a Coke in a place that sold Pepsi products. The waitress responded by asking, "Is Dr. Pepper OK?" Realizing my error, I asked for a Pepsi.

This incident served to reinforce my belief that Texans are morons. Now I know that it's not that, it's just that they have somehow substituted a brand name for a specific product for a generic term for a whole range of products. All this begs the question, what do you say when you actually want a Coke?

My original theory holds, Texans are morons.

8:46 PM  
Blogger MrFares said...

Of course, you'll need to ask for a "cokola" but your theory still holds, Q.E.D."

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home